Beyond Convention : the World's Foremost Authorities on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Offer Advice on HealingBook - 2002
Some of the world's leading experts on complementary and alternative medicine explain how to incorporate these popular therapeutic options into traditional medicine to provide the best possible treatment for breast cancer, discussing such topics as the benefits of soy foods, nutritional supplements, the positive impact of spiritual practices, and more. 50,000 first printing.
Simon and Schuster
As advances in breast cancer research move forward, more treatment options are available than ever before, which is great news -- but how can you determine the course of action that is right for you? Here is a definitive guide, informed from cover to cover by leading authorities in the field -- the only single resource that lays out all of the traditional and alternative approaches available today.
Breast Cancer: Beyond Convention is truly a groundbreaking publishing event. Assembling a "dream team" of breast cancer experts -- Dean Ornish, Susan Love, Rachel Remen, Michael Lerner, and Jon Kabat-Zinn among them -- the editors of this indispensable reference encourage readers to work with their practitioners as they consider a variety of approaches, all explained here in clear, nontechnical language. Readers will discover
- how to find the right caregiver and best complement conventional medical treatment with alternative medicine
- how to be "healed" without necessarily being "cured"
- how to incorporate traditional Chinese medicine -- including herbs, qigong, and acupuncture
- the right diet to choose, no matter the form of treatment; why soy products should be a staple of the diet; plus fifteen delicious recipes to sample
- the best vitamins, minerals, and natural foods, and the specific benefits -- and possible dangers -- of each.
In addition, the experts shed light on the merits of spiritual treatments, from meditation and directed prayer to the powerful mystery of the "will to live."
The guide is capped off with an encyclopedic appendix of helpful Web sites; state-by-state lists of cancer centers and national support organizations; even recommended audiotapes, CDs, and books. Offering up-to-the-minute authoritative research, informative case histories, a plan for action, and, above all, hope, Breast Cancer: Beyond Convention is the single source to help patients take control of their treatment, assuage their fears, and get them on the road to healing.