The Juniper Tree, and Other Tales From GrimmBook - 2003
Twenty-seven fairy tales including many well-known stories and such lesser-known tales as "The Juniper Tree," "Many-Fur," and "Brother Gaily."
Back in Print!
Originally published as a two-volume set forty years ago, The Juniper Tree is distinguished first by the selection of stories. Lore Segal and Maurice Sendak jointly culled 27 from the 210 in the complete collection, and their contents page presents a fascinating critical statement. The translations are another distinguishing quality of the Segal/Sendak edition. Both translators have been painstakingly faithful to the German texts; they have not cut, "retold," or bowdlerized. In addition, Segal and Jarrell bring to their renderings of Grimm the grace and precision that are characteristic of their own original prose.
· One of the most acclaimed Grimm collections published in English, available again
· An elegant, must-have edition for every home library
· New lower-price of $19.99, formerly $28.00
· Includes standards such as "Hansel and Gretel," "The Fisherman and His Wife," and "The Frog King" as well as lesser-known masterpieces such as the title story and "The Goblins"
· Each story contains a full-page picture by Maurice Sendak
· Four stories translated by Jarrell, the rest by Segal
Enhanced with detailed illustrations, this 30th anniversary compilation provides a specially selected collection of 27 translated Grimm tales for young readers of all ages. 10,000 first printing.
Popular and lesser-known creations of the Brothers Grimm are retold in this collection of twenty-seven stories.