The Adopted Dog BibleBook - 2009
A guide for owners of rescued dogs provides information about breeds, feeding, and hygiene, and makes recommendations for such concerns as pursuing veterinary care with minimal records, introducing optimal-nutrition diets, and rehabilitative training.
The old rules don't always apply to adopted dogs, whose training, past behaviors, and health histories may be a mystery. At last, here's the one-stop bible that acknowledges their special needs and covers every detail of daily life. In chapters reviewed by experts in veterinary medicine, nutrition, and training, pet parents will learn:
- Where to find your perfect canine companion
- All about breeds and mixed breeds and how you can adopt any type of dog
- Smart guidelines for adoption success
- Realistic expenses of dog care
- What to expect when you bring your new pup home (and long after)
- How to prevent runaways and protect your dog from all types of harm
- Clicker, target stick, and other re-training methods
- Humane ways to modify undesirable behaviors
- How to introduce new diets and take the guesswork out of feeding
- Holistic and conventional medical treatments
- Daily hygiene and caring for your sick pup inside and out
- The impact of travel and changes at home
- What to do when it's time to say good-bye
Plus recipes, doggy workouts, heartwarming true stories of adopted dogs and their happy parents, information on saving dogs on a larger scale, and much, much more!
An all-encompassing guide for owners of rescued and shelter dogs with special needs provides recommendations for such concerns as pursuing veterinary care with minimal records, introducing optimal-nutrition diets, and rehabilitative training. Original. 40,000 first printing.
"A Stonesong Press book"--P. facing title page